Part of an ongoing blog series of notes and tips from the 2017 College Media Association/Associated Collegiate Press national convention. Search by topic or “collegemedia17” on this site to find more, or #collegemedia17 on Twitter. The following is compiled by Victoria Raines.
Tools to Increase Your Social Media Following
- There is a sense that these companies that create these awesome social media tools don’t care about us as individuals. You might lose what you have come to rely on.
- Facebook announced they launched a new newsfeed in five different countries that eliminates all news organizations from your feed.
- Don’t’ put all your stock in one tool. Social media is rapidly changing and unreliable.
- Facebook shows you what you care about and what you care about is what you click on.
- Patreon.com allows you to charge people money for your content. When they buy into you, they are invested in your work.
- You have to build a following that interacts with your work.
Repurposing Print Content for Social
- Every post should have a picture.
- Go with the photographer to get a shot for social.
- Vary your caption and headline. They shouldn’t say the same thing.
- Make captions more attractive and luring.