Journalism’s impact on social justice: Why storytelling matters
Rose Scott, WABE-FM
A few takeaways from this session:
- We tell stories because stories connect us and leave us with a sense of community or growth.
- It’s important for people who look like you to tell stories about your community. A newsroom’s makeup should reflect the community it covers.
- Ask yourself: Is the story worth telling? Consider the following news tenants:
- Is the issue relevant and timely?
- Are you presenting new information?
- Are you presenting an unfamiliar voice(s)?
- Is your story authentic?
- All you have at the end of the day is your integrity and your character.
- When presenting stories, ask: Did I embrace the listener? Did I educate? Did I empower?